• • •
The Alison Palmer Studio Presents
STEVEN HILL’S JOURNEY WORKSHOP
MAY 21-27 (2017)
OCTOBER 14-15 (2017)
MAY 18-20 (2018)We are honored to be hosting Steven Hill’s Journey Workshop next year. This workshop includes 3 separate sessions with Steven, so make sure to check the dates. Skype critiques are also available with Steven throughout the year (for an extra charge). If the class so chooses, we can meet at alternative times during the year to talk about our work and it’s progress. This workshop involves an ongoing commitment from the student throughout the year. As the student goes deeper into the process, it will open up endless opportunities for growth into a more personal body of work. The fee for the workshop is $1800 if you sign up before January 1st.After January 1st the fee for the workshop will be $2,000. To register and pay, please send your check to Alison Palmer. Please call if you want to make a different payment arrangement such as PayPal or Credit Card:
P.O. Box 686 • Kent CT 06757 • 860-927-4680
The workshop will be held at:
The Alison Palmer Studio • 48 Stone Fences Lane • South Kent CT 06785
• • •My journey began with a summer workshop in 1972, taught by Peter Sohngen. Since the early 80’s, I have shared MY aesthetic and techniques in nearly 300 workshops. This workshop is different; it is about you and your relationship with clay. This journey is YOURS. – Steven Hill You are inspired, You are motivated, Begin your journey… now. What inspires you? Art? Music? Nature? Technology? Architecture? Each of us is capable of expressing unique individuality in our ceramic work. Is your work as personal as you would like it to be or does it seem more like a collection of techniques learned from others? Your journey begins with 6 ½ days exploring your relationship with clay at Alison Palmer’s Studio. Through a combination of individual critique, group discussion and hands-on experimentation, you will set in motion the search for personal expression. You will leave The Journey Workshop with a plan for the upcoming year and return to your studio with focus, renewed motivation, a group of peers and a mentor to help keep you on track. Who is a prime candidate for the Journey Workshop? This workshop is perfect for the professional who feels stale, for the amateur who wants to develop their body of work, or anyone who wants to take their pottery or sculptural work to a deeper, personal level. It is helpful to be comfortable with your basic techniques, as this workshop is not technically oriented. In the past, however, people at all levels of expertise have benefited greatly from taking the Journey Workshop. Workshop Structure: In preparation for your journey, you will be asked to read a book on creativity. Currently Steven is exploring new possibilities for this reading. Stay tuned! A private Facebook page will be set up in advance for students to communicate with each other before and during their journey, posting images, thoughts, questions and inspiration. The Facebook page is critical to group camaraderie and motivation. For the first weeklong session, bring as much information about yourself as possible… images or examples of recent pottery or other artwork, a journal or sketchbook, music, or anything relevant to your individuality. Each day during the initial week we will spend about half of our time in class discussions and group exercises. The rest of your time will be spent working in clay, drawing, journaling, or other individualized creative activities, applying insights gained in the class. Towards the end of the initial week, you will write a personal contract to help formulate your plan for the upcoming year. As your journey progresses throughout the year, you will have the option to schedule Skype critiques with Steven (paid for at an additional hourly charge). We will meet for a mid-year critique at Alison Palmer’s Stuio on October 14-15, 2017. Finally, on May 18-20, 2018 we will reconvene for final critiques and to share and celebrate our individual journeys. The workshop will culminate with an opening. You will NOT be learning Steven Hill’s techniques in The Journey Workshop. Instead, this workshop is designed to help you find YOUR voice in clay. Steven will push you to go deeper and discover personal ways of expressing yourself. Yes, it is true there is nothing “new” in art, but that doesn’t prevent you from bringing your own unique spirit as a potter, sculptor, artist and human being to your personal work. The Journey Workshop DOES NOT INCLUDE firing at Alison Palmer’s Studio, unless you would like your work to be bisque fired to take with you. The work made for the show at the end of the Journey Workshop will be made and fired in your studio throughout the upcoming year. Workshop Schedule:
- May 21-27, 2017 – Initial weeklong workshop at Alison Palmer’s Studio. The workshop will begin on Sunday, June 5 at 6pm, with a welcome session.
- June – October 2017 – Studio work and preparation for mid-year critique.
- October 14-15, 2017 – Mid-year critique at Alison Palmer’s Studio.
- November 2016 – May 2017 – Studio work and preparation for show.
- May 18-20, 2018 – Journey final critique, show and celebration at Alison Palmer’s Studio.
• • •
Malcolm and the crew…